Scripture study and persistance

However, reading scriptures can present a challenge for everyone. President Boyd K. Packer shares his first attempts as a teenager at reading the Book of Mormon. He says: “I opened it and read, ‘I, Nephi, having been born of goodly parents’ (1 Nephi 1:1). … It was interesting, and I could follow it until I got over to the Isaiah chapters. … So a few months later I decided to try again to read the Book of Mormon. I read, ‘I, Nephi, having been born of goodly parents,’ but every time I’d hit the barrier of those Isaiah chapters. … Finally I decided I was even going to read them.” (“Principles of Teaching and Learning,” Worldwide Leadership Training Meeting, Feb. 2007; in Liahona, June 2007, 53; Ensign, June 2007, 85.)

And of course President Packer did read them. Persistence is the key. With every reading of the scriptures, unfamiliar words will take on meaning.

(Vicki F. Matsumori, “A Lesson from the Book of Mormon,” Ensign, May 2007, 76–77)

Comments