Hawaii Itinerary

We had an awesome trip to Hawaii in October of 06 or 07 - which was it? Anyway, several people have asked about where we stayed and what worked for us -- so here is a quick run down of an awesome vacation!  (I don't know where all of our pictures are -- not on this computer -- I think they are on the one that crashed!  So, these pictures are from google images -- but they are accurate to what I wanted to portray!)

First, I highly recommend the book, Maui Revealed and Oahu Revealed.  They will give you great recommendations lodging, dining, attractions, out of the way sites, etc.  Don't leave home without them.  



We first went to Maui and stayed there for 4 nights.  We booked our condo thru VRBO at the Kamaole Sands in Kihei (4nights - $534.82 incl taxes for a condo).  We bought a few supplies at the Costco in central Maui -- where the airport is.  Salads, chicken for the BBQ and pineapple!  Honestly -- we didn't really love the food we had dining out -- in Maui or Oahu.  Maybe we just chose badly, it was okay -- but I wouldn't go back for the food!  IMHO save your self a buck and BBQ or do simple meals at home several times...

It was a great place to stay and right across from Kamaole Beach III a nice quiet beach.  We thought it would be important to be close to the beach but we actually only visited that beach once and maybe one evening.  We were much to busy exploring other beaches!  


We liked staying in Kihei -- it is sunny and quieter than the west side, and cheaper than Beautiful Wailea which is right next to it.  But read the book -- there are stretches of beach closer to the central coast that dump waste  and you don't want to swim there!

For us, Maui is all about snorkeling.  In fact, I think Oahu is prettier -- but the beaches in Maui are the best!  You can rent gear there -- and that might be cheaper, but we liked having our own -- we purchased them at Costco and they worked great!

It was my first experience to snorkle and I was a little leary of breathing under water.  We decided to take an expensive boat excursion out to Molokini Crater for our first snorkeling trip.  

It was a little chilly and I was dog paddling afraid to put my head under -- why?  I don't know -- but the breathing underwater thing had me a little anxious!  Plus, it was a cold windy day.  DH, on the otherhand had no qualms -- when he said -- "It looks like someone turned on a TV set!"  I  took the plunge and was immediately immersed in an underwater world.  It was fantastic!!!!  The colors were amazing -- both of the water and the sealife.  Snorkeling is truly a blast!

Some people complain that at Molokini you are too far away from the fish -- they are a ways down  there.  But not so deep, however, that you couldn't take a quick dive down to be with them.  But, for me, it was the most beautiful snorkeling we did anywhere.  It could have been because Hawaii was experiencing some  stormy weather, and other areas were more murky. But closer to shore, the fish weren't as varied and colorful.  Anyway -- we loved it!
 
Our first visit day we visited Makena Beach -- where shockingly strong  waves threatened, literally, to kill DH.  I was tired of being tossed around by the waves and I had only gone in knee to thigh deep and they literally rolled me in the sand.  So I went up on the beach to soak in the rays (and empty my pockets) and DH decided to join a few others and swim out beyond where the waves were breaking.  He looked like he was having such fun that I almost joined him.  Thank heavens I didn't! It was on re-entry that he got slammed into the sandy (luckily not rocky) ocean floor three times before he made it in.  The next thing I know he is standing over me stunned with a bloody face!  It truly scared him and he doesn't scare easily -- and he wondered if he would make it back in.  We both doubt I would have been strong enough to swim through the waves.  Watch the warning signs, and don't go out if the waves seem strong (not necessarily the same as large -- these were not necessarily big, just powerful!!)   I offer DH and his broken nose on the first day of our vacation as a warning!  There was a warning sign -- showing a stick figure breaking his neck -- outside of the beach.  I don't know if Makena Beach is notorious for that -- but any beach could be, so beware and be careful!

We tracked the turtles everywhere.... they'd swim right past you and give you a little shock!

Lahaina is a central point (aka bottleneck during rush hour) where everyone crosses through to get from the east side to the west.  It is touristy and busy!!  It is also where you will catch your boats for different excursions.  This is where the young adult nightlife is -- we were there the night of Halloween -- it was a bit scarey!


The drive to Hana is long, relaxing and gorgeous!  Unfortunately, when we went -- you could not  circle all the way around to Kihei -- so we had to retrace our path -- which took a couple hours longer.  So, due to the amount of light we had left -- we didn't get to stop as much to explore as we might have liked.  But, it was lush and tropical.  We stopped at one point and watched amazing waves crashing against the shore. 
You should be able to hike to many waterfalls -- but I think the it had been a little dry.  Rains were dousing Oahu when we were in Maui -- and arrived after we left.  Which was good for the swimming, but not so much for the waterfalls! 

We choose to drive to Hana on Sunday after we attended church meetings  in Kihei -- which was great!  Someone was leaving the ward and so people showered them with lei's -- they decided to give DH and I one each!  It was so sweet!

The west side of Maui is where all the ritzy hotels are lined up on Kaanapali Beach -- which is a long stretch of beautiful beach.  We strolled in the evening after dinner and it was awesome!  We found better dining options in this area than in others.

It would have been a great place to stay -- with just 2 drawbacks -- price and you have to drive through busy Lahaina (which can truly add time on to the treck) if you want to get anywhere else on the island.

We visited the volcano -- which was just okay, very life less-- but didn't make it to the rain forests which I regret! There are many hikes and other things to do in Maui -- I could easily go again and do all different things!  

Then we went to Oahu for another 4 nights.  We booked this place through VRBO as well and stayed at Pualani's Place in Kailua -- on the way to Laie from Honolulu ($445.67 for 4 nights incl taxes).  It was a darling studio cottage as part of a residential home.  We had our own private entrance and were left completely on our own and the accomodations were immaculate.  We had a tiny kitchenette and could walk to a gorgeous stretch of beach.  We love Kailua and would stay there again.  We don't enjoy being with all the other tourists -- as in Waikiki -- so this was more to our liking.  It was however, a quick and beautiful drive to Honolulu -- and on the way to Laie so we thought it was a great location.


Laie offers a wonderful day at the Polynesian Cultural Center and a visit to the beautiful LDS temple.  There are also some great ocean sites to visit as well -- to dangerous for swimming, but beautiful none the less!  One popular spot where you can drive right out on a pennisula and watch waves crashing all around you.


Farther around the top of the island -- past Turtle Bay - there were a bunch of windsurfers having a blast!
We didn't get to see whales or large surfing waves -- wrong time of year!

But we did enjoy Pearl Harbor and the International Market -- where we bought lots of cheap souveniers and tshirts for the kids!
We also snorkeled at Hanama Bay -- one of the most popular snorkeling sites.  I didn't love it there -- it was murky, the fish weren't special and I always felt like I was going to skin my tummy on the coral below  (you aren't supposed to touch or it harms the coral).  It probably wasn't as close as my goggles made it seem however!  Plus, by this point DH was much more adventuresome than I was and kept wandering away from me!  To top it off, I thought I heard some swimmers taking to a life guard that they had seen a shark.  I wasn't positive but it was enough to send me shore.  I found out later that they had in fact spotted a shark and I was right by them!!   Note to self:  stay away for the walls of the bay -- that is where the sharks are more likely to be found.




A drive through central Oahu is fun -- lots of Pineapple fields and open plains.  Many years ago, when I was in Honolulu for a layover, I visited the Dole Pineapple Factory.  Loved it!  But we couldn't find it this time.  It may no longer exist -- but if you can find it it is a fun stop!


Finally, a word about Waikiki.  What is all the hype about?  The sand was coarse on the feet, the water very calm but lots of rocks on bottom.  It wasn't the best imho. A night stroll on the beach was beautiful however! 

We did stay our last night on Waikiki at an Outrigger Hotel.  We had to change last minute, the dates of our trip -- and could no longer stay the full time at Pualani's Place.  So we just went into Honolulu.  It ended up being a great decision.  Because, the hotels there, will let you check out, but will let you store your luggage, come back after a day on the beach, shower in a room they have set aside just for that, gather your luggage and head off to the airport!  Slick!  Many flights to the US leave at night -- so this let you have a full day of play without worrying about your luggage.   

Would we go again?  ABSOLUTELY YES!
Would we change much?  NO!
Did we love Oahu or Maui better?  Can't say -- we loved them for different things.  We thought hitting them both was the best of both worlds!


Comments