Serving Others

"The errand of angels is given to women and this is a gift that as sisters we claim,
To do whatsoever is gentle and human, to cheer and to bless in humanities name." (Hymns)

One of the greatest blessings, I feel, of being a woman, is the distinct feeling of compassion  for other human beings.  A sincere desire to cheer and to bless others.  

But, while my heart is full of caring, my mind is often at a loss for what to do to help others.  Do I take a meal?  What if they don’t like what I make!  Do I clean their house and risk offending them by asking? 

Just as we earn a degree course by course, or prepare for a marathon, run after run, “we learn to serve”  President Kimball said, “by serving.” 

Several months ago, I came across an amazing blog post.  One young mother learned the joy of small and simple acts of kindness.  Rather than tell you her story, I will let you read the post for yourself  and share in her wonderful experience.  I apologize for how quickly you have to read – I have posted her blog at the end of the movie if you want to take more time with it.

And I leave you with my testimony of service, that true joy comes not when we seek it for ourselves, but when we seek it for others.


Comments