Elder Bednar on how to prepare to take the Sacrament



http://seek.deseretbook.com/david-bednar-how-do-prepare-worthily-partake-sacrament/i

Elder Bednar’s response a youth’s question: “How do I prepare to worthily partake of the sacrament?”

“You begin preparing to take the sacrament as soon as you’re done taking the sacrament.  So, on Sunday after you have taken the sacrament, you’re now beginning to prepare to take the sacrament the next week.  And you do that everyday.

Most of us think ‘Well Saturday, Sunday, I guess it’s time to get ready to partake of the sacrament.’ Or, we’re singing  the sacrament hymn,  ‘Oh, I guess it’s time to get ready.’ Or Sunday morning when we wake up, ‘Okay, now I’m supposed to get ready.’ The sacrament helps us remember that we are to turn to Christ and not to our self.  So, when you have your prayers Sunday night, having partaken of the sacrament sometime Sunday, what you want to do is talk with Heavenly Father about continuing to turn to His son and away from self.  And you’ll  find that you probably turn toward yourself sometimes times and so you repent of that .  And that is getting ready on Sunday night to partake of the sacrament next week.  When you get up Monday morning you’re focused on turning to the Savior and away from self.  And you’re trying to do that all day long.  And, you have your prayers at night ‘I did ok, and I thank thee for this help, but, some places I didn’t do so good.’ And you repent of that and you kind of figure out what I need to do better.  And then you say ‘Amen’ and you go to sleep and you get up the next day and you do that everyday.  That’s how you prepare for the sacrament, beginning on Sunday when you took it, to take it the next week.  This is all day, all the time, everywhere, with everybody, in all that we do we’re turning to the Savior and we’re trying to get ready to renew the covenant through the partaking of the Sacrament where we pledge our willingness to take upon ourselves, His name.  You don’t just do that at the last minute Saturday or Sunday.”

Comments