Reading - and Remembering what you Read





Source:  LINK  from www.calnewport.com/

Quote:
The Idea Index

The source of this insight was an interview on the Tim Ferris Show with Brain Pickings’s Maria Popova, who is one of the world’s most prolific readers (fifteen books per week!?) and hardest working bloggers (three long posts per day!?).

Around thirty-one minutes into the interview, Popova explains how she takes notes on books:

  1. As she reads, she creates an index at the front of the book that lists its most interesting ideas.
  2. Every time she encounters a passage relevant to one of these ideas she adds the page to the relevant line in the index. If its a new idea, she creates a new line for it.
  3. As she reads more, the index grows.

Here’s what’s great about this idea index method: When you pick up a book read long ago, you can quickly recall what it has to offer by glancing at the index. Then, if you want to grab some quotes about one of these ideas, the index tells you exactly where to look (no more reading every annotation!).

_________________________________________________________________

A slightly different version HERE - From www.Jonathonmilligan.com



He says:

As you read the book, be sure to have a pen handy. Be on the lookout for the following items:

An amazing quote (Q)
A great list
A inspiring story
An interesting insight

Whenever I come across something noteworthy, the first thing I do is place an index mark on that page. This mark will easily show up as I flip through a book (see pic).

Then he says:

After I finish a book (whether I reach the end or not), I will take a picture of my index pages. I prefer to use a tag called “book notes” for all of my indexed books. (he loads these to Evernote)

Use the Evernote search function when doing research..  Since the words in your picture are searchable in Evernote, you can find anything quickly. I will search just in my “tag” for the keywords I’m looking for. This allows me to drastically reduce my research time.

For digital reads he does the following:
from your computer go to kindle.amazon.com ===> your books ===> click on a book ====> click "Your highlights" on right side of page. Those are your highlights for that book only. I then capture that page in Evernote


Comments