Recognizing pride

Elder David A. Bednar
(from the BYU-I devotional:  Repeat Over Again...the Same Things as Before)

In particular, a warning is most needed when we do not think we need to be warned. Using the language of the Old Testament prophet Haggai, I invite you to carefully and prayerfully "consider your ways" (Haggai 1:5, 7).

  • Is your pride allowing intellectual arrogance to creep into your mind and heart?
  • Are you forgetting the Lord and failing to appreciate His bounteous blessings and promises?
  • Are you turning inward, becoming self-centered, and gradually developing an attitude of personal privilege and entitlement?

These insidious spiritual flaws can develop in us so subtly that we may not recognize or respond to them. As you ponder these questions sincerely and with real intent, I promise the Holy Ghost will help you to see yourself as you "really are" (Jacob 4:13) and to identify both the things you presently are doing well and the course corrections you need to make in your life.

I believe consecrated people like you in this sacred and set apart place, with the help of the Lord and by the power of His Holy Spirit, can attenuate the pride cycle so prominently highlighted throughout the Book of Mormon. You can prosper and remain submissive. You can succeed and avoid arrogance. You can receive blessings with gratitude and not be seduced by a sense of self-serving entitlement.

I love you, and I love BYU-Idaho. I invoke the Lord's blessings upon you, both individually and collectively—even the spiritual capacities and gifts that will be necessary for you to overcome and avoid the pride that so often follows periods of great prosperity.

Comments