See blog post for full description: 7kids at home
Following are a few excerpts:
She says:
I am sometimes surprised that what really touched me and what I heard as the main message of a speaker is just a small part of their talk. I hear what I need to hear. Then I learn even more by reading the messages. In this post I am going to show you a way of studying that is helpful to me.
This is a legend for my markings. I taped it on the Table of Contents page. It's a litte hard to read in the picture, but each one is explained with a picture below so just keep scrolling!.
The first thing I did with each talk was to take a red pen and put a bubble cloud around all of the sentences or phrases that were in my notes. These are the things that I wrote while watching conference. I love to look through the talks and see these red outlines! It reminds me of the feelings I had and how the Holy Ghost touched me at that time to inspire me to take that note.
Next, with a blue pen I put a box around each of the scriptures referenced in the talk. At the end of each talk is a footnote resource list. This tells me where each scripture is located so I can write it down in the margins next to the blue box. Some of the talks actually have the scripture references written after each quote. I did the same blue boxes for those talks, I just didn't write the reference again in the margin. This helps me to study the scriptures more in connection with the talk's message. It was fascinating for me to see in Elder Bednar's talk that 75% of his talk was scripture!
After marking the scripture locations, I use a yellow highlighter and as I read and re-read the talk I highlight the parts that really stand out to me. When I am finished, if you were to go back and read just the highlighted parts, you would have a good idea what the talk was about. A lot of these highlighted paragraphs are things I want to study more in depth or are things I really want to remember.
I use the sticky notes towrite my feelings or thoughts to add to the talk pages. This is a part of the visual layering I mentioned. If I write too much on the pages in the margins, it overwhelms my eyes and gets lost. By having things written on these notes, I am able see them when I choose to, but not be distracted by them when I am studying. I also like to use different colors and papers for different parts. More layering. Am I making any sense?
Here I went onto Pinterest and found several pins from several people of conference "memes". I printed some of the fun ones postage stamp sized and stapled them onto the pages where the quotes are found to create these fun little colorful tabs.
Following are a few excerpts:
She says:
I am sometimes surprised that what really touched me and what I heard as the main message of a speaker is just a small part of their talk. I hear what I need to hear. Then I learn even more by reading the messages. In this post I am going to show you a way of studying that is helpful to me.
The first thing I did with each talk was to take a red pen and put a bubble cloud around all of the sentences or phrases that were in my notes. These are the things that I wrote while watching conference. I love to look through the talks and see these red outlines! It reminds me of the feelings I had and how the Holy Ghost touched me at that time to inspire me to take that note.
Next, with a blue pen I put a box around each of the scriptures referenced in the talk. At the end of each talk is a footnote resource list. This tells me where each scripture is located so I can write it down in the margins next to the blue box. Some of the talks actually have the scripture references written after each quote. I did the same blue boxes for those talks, I just didn't write the reference again in the margin. This helps me to study the scriptures more in connection with the talk's message. It was fascinating for me to see in Elder Bednar's talk that 75% of his talk was scripture!
After marking the scripture locations, I use a yellow highlighter and as I read and re-read the talk I highlight the parts that really stand out to me. When I am finished, if you were to go back and read just the highlighted parts, you would have a good idea what the talk was about. A lot of these highlighted paragraphs are things I want to study more in depth or are things I really want to remember.
I use the sticky notes towrite my feelings or thoughts to add to the talk pages. This is a part of the visual layering I mentioned. If I write too much on the pages in the margins, it overwhelms my eyes and gets lost. By having things written on these notes, I am able see them when I choose to, but not be distracted by them when I am studying. I also like to use different colors and papers for different parts. More layering. Am I making any sense?
Here I went onto Pinterest and found several pins from several people of conference "memes". I printed some of the fun ones postage stamp sized and stapled them onto the pages where the quotes are found to create these fun little colorful tabs.
Comments