Choosing Faith

 

@somuchforscuppernong 11/5/20 Inklings Institute

These really have been some difficult, unsettling times of late—and yet it all seems to keep coming down to a choice of focus. As I sat with my 12-year old son trying to explain election results—I wanted to teach him about the hope and power of the process, and that it takes faith in something greater at work in order to be a willing participant. My husband started to have a jaded moment, and I stopped him with a wave of my hand, asking ‘ Wait—Can’t we invite the positive?’ ——-Of course we have all experienced lately that jaded feeling in so many of our trials—as we are tested I think we all feel it, the fear and worry, the doubt that creeps in, or that negative attitude that pushes away hope and belief that something good will come. ———————-I have learned through hard trial and error that very often, the true difference comes in my own personal attitude and focus. If I am filled with worry and fear, I cannot find much reassurance, no matter where I might turn. But if I fine-tune my focus and am able to trust in God, and his plan, then I am able to move forward with faith and be sure that somehow, some way we will all be okay. I used to think this meant requiring Him to ‘show me’ just how it would be okay; but I have come to know that’s just not how God’s proving works. I guess I thought that He would prove it to me first, so I would be reassured. Nope. Instead he lets me go ahead with my doubts and worries in tact, so that I have to act on faith. And then he rewards that faith by having my back, holding my hand, leading me along, lightening my burdens, healing my wounds, and all kinds of other amazing helps along the way. He makes it work somehow—each and every time, in my favor. And then He keeps asking me to remember that, remember Him. I just have to keep coming back to that good focus—just like Emily said in her post, He has never failed her family. What a beautiful truth.And in Joshua, ‘Not one good thing hath failed’ —He will not fail us. That’s why we come here to study these promises, to remember, to place our hopes on Him. Sure and certain and steady. No matter what tomorrow brings. ❤️

Comments