Think to Pray



 Think to Pray

 

 

Date:  2019

 

Prayers.  So very simple in concept, and yet one of the most difficult things we do to draw closer to our Heavenly Father.  It is the means by which we communicate and receive.  But it truly isn’t that easy.  Prayer requires thought, time, effort.  It takes talking and listening.  And it is very easy for prayers to become rote and thoughtless.  Even faithless if you have gone for a long time without receiving any kind of promptings.

 

One day, I was pondering over a particular problem I was experiencing with prayer.  My mind would wonder almost immediately.  I had trouble staying focused.  I would begin with good intentions, but before I knew it I was planning what I would make for dinner, or worrying about something or another.  I tend to have a mind that flits from one subject to another, so many thoughts floating around at one time in my head.  As I have grown older, and those I think about, worry about and pray about have increased, my thoughts have become more scattered.  I knew that it was affecting my prayers.  I was pondering this, and the words to this hymn came to mind....”Did you think to Pray?”  Always before, these words were a reminder to reflect on if I had, in fact, prayed that morning, followed by satisfaction if I had, and guilt if I had rushed out the door to make it to church on time.  But this time, the words meant something different.

 

Did I think ---in order---to pray?  Thinking as preparation?  What if I took time to ponder what I wanted to approach my Heavenly Father with?  What If I wrote it down so that I could reign my thoughts in and keep them focused?  What if I listed specific things I was grateful for and specific things I needed help with and focused intently on those things in my prayer – would it help me stay focused? 

 

I found that it helped me immensely so much!  Pondering and writing it down works the best, but even taking the time to think about what you want to pray for beforehand helps.

 

The brother of Jared, Moses, and others, would climb a mountain to pray.  We often relate a temple to a mountain, and likewise we could go to the temple.  But, I think about that long hike...possibly hours or days it took to get to the top of that mountain.  That whole time could be spent pondering the prayer that would be prayed when they reached the top.  Did they think to pray?  I think they did!      

 

Lesson:  One way to improve our prayers is to take time to think about what we want to talk with our Heavenly Father about before we actually begin.

 Date: 2021

I have a talk on this topic  PDF

Tags:  prayer

 

Comments