What is meekness?


 

The following was taken from a Follow Him Podcast with Dr. Robert Millett

D&C 31:90

"Govern your house in meekness." 

Robert Millett:

Meekness is an interesting virtue. Almost always, people equate it with humility. Well, they're certainly close, but they're not exactly the same. I read a book years ago written by, I think he was the institute director at a University of Utah and he wrote a book on the beatitudes. And under meekness, he said, meekness is poise under provocation. 

Now, think of Jesus before Annas and Caiaphas. Think of Jesus before Pilate and further, Herod. And so poise under provocation, I think has to do with... That's an illustration. 

 And that is, there's just no place, really, for a person who is serious about spiritual things, a father or a mother, who's constantly exploding on the family members. We've got to learn to get control. Meekness is poise under provocation. 


John Bytheway: 

There was an article in the new era by S. Michael Wilcox about the beatitudes as well. I don't know if that's who you're referring to. He gave this great illustration about a car crusher that would compress a car down to a pile of metal. He said that after they demonstrated this incredibly powerful machine, the man doing the demonstration, asked somebody for their watch and nobody wanted to give them this watch. He's like, "Trust me," and they measured the watch and this machine was very strong, but apparently very precise. And it came rushing down and stopped a millimeter from smashing the crystal of the watch and same thing on the sides. Brother Wilcox doesn't say who it was. But he says the church leader turned and said, "We have just seen the greatest demonstration of meekness I have seen. Meekness is great power under complete control." And that sounds very much like poison under provocation. 

Comments