A God who is both merciful and just



FollowHim- podcast with Hank Smith & John Bytheway.  Guess Matthew Bowen

Exodus 14-17

Show Notes Part 1

 John Bytheway: 00:49:28 The youth theme for this year is the Proverbs 3, the, "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart, lean not to thine own understanding." You can see how often with the murmurings they're leaning to their own understanding. The Lord's saying, "Will you just hold your peace?" Verse 14, "And I'll fight for you. Just be quiet." This year, I've had chances to talk to some youth groups about that trust in the Lord theme. I've used that 2 Nephi 26. He doesn't do anything except it's for our benefit. Do you trust that? Do you trust that he loves you and that if you don't even see the reasons why, he's not doing anything except it's for our benefit? A lot of times we talk about justice and mercy, and if we had to pick a favorite, we might pick mercy, but a God that is just will recompense us for things that happen through no fault of our own..  All the unfairness, a God of justice will fix that somehow. I love that I've become more a fan of the God of justice when I hear about things that are tragic and unfair through no one's fault. 

Dr. Matthew L. Bowen: 00:50:38 I appreciate that. I think it's really important to help students, young people see that justice and mercy aren't at the end of two long arms, but they're really part of two sides of the same coin. They're really almost the same thing, if you consider God's character, who he is. God is just and merciful. Everything that he does is both.

John Bytheway: 00:51:03 And you can trust him because he's not doing anything except it's for our benefit. This whole story is a good illustration of that. Because they keep murmuring.

Comments