SOURCE: Email from Cali Black 7/11/24 Come Follow Me Study
It’s a question that I have been asked variations of over and over again.
And I have some great suggestions to share that I’ve learned on my own.
But in many of the messages, I actually hear my own concerns from a few years ago echoing in their words:
“I just can’t seem to do consistent scripture study, and this means I am failing.”
In our church, reading the scriptures and praying every day are preached so often, that sometimes we mistakenly start to think that salvation comes through their repetition.
It’s like reading our scriptures becomes the goal.
We will make it if we can just read our scriptures every day!
But I want to look at what the Anti-Nephi Lehies had so wisely figured out:
“They did not suppose that salvation came by the law of Moses; but the law of Moses did serve to strengthen their faith in Christ.” (Alma 25:16)
Keeping the commandments and reading our scriptures every day are not part of the checklist we need to complete in order to earn salvation and get into heaven.
We keep the commandments and read our scriptures BECAUSE these actions strengthen our faith in the Savior.
Salvation comes only in and through Jesus Christ.
And everything He asks us to do is to point us to Jesus even more.
That is what God really wants us to do.
The goal isn’t to study our scriptures every day; the goal is to be totally focused on Jesus Christ as the center of our salvation, and scripture study is one of the easiest ways to focus us.
Don’t misinterpret here— I’m not saying “the law” or scripture study isn’t important.
I quite literally think effective scripture study can change lives, and it’s a worthy habit to develop.
But consistent scripture study isn’t the endgame.
Feasting on the scriptures daily is important BECAUSE it so naturally points us toward Jesus Christ.
Salvation doesn’t come by keeping the “law,” but the “law” helps us to become more Christlike if we keep willing and sincere hearts.

Comments